Mosselprom building, 1912-1925.
Authors: N. Strukov, A. Loleit, A. Rodchenko and V. Stepanova
The Mosselprom Trust made the right choice by hiring the avant-garde leaders Vladimir Mayakovsky, Alexander Rodchenko, Varvara Stepanova to promote their own products - flour milling, confectionery, yeast, pasta, tobacco, bakery, brewing and sausage.
Before the fire of 1812, the wooden Church of St. John the Merciful with a clergy house was located on this site. By 1817, there were several stone buildings here, in one of which lived the family of S. F. Mochalov - the father of the famous actor P. S. Mochalov. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, a large plot of land was bought by the merchant A. I. Titov, who combined several buildings from the early 19th century into one building, opening a tavern and an inn for cabbies in it. In the 1900s, Titov converted the buildings into furnished rooms and rental housing, but realizing that the land could generate more income and that the existing buildings had already exhausted their resources, the owner decided to build a large seven-story apartment building in 1912 and invited architect N.D. Strukov to draw up a project.
Titov decided to build a large seven-story apartment building in 1912 and invited architect N.D. Strukov to draw up a project. The second stage began to be built in 1915, but military, economic and political upheavals prevented the work from being completed. Only five floors of the first stage were built, and the corner of two Kislovsky lanes remained undeveloped. In this form, the building stood until 1922, until it was transferred to a large Moscow organization called Mosselprom, which was in dire need of a new building. In 1922, the construction commission determined that the unfinished building was suitable for completion, but required additional reinforcement of the end wall, since the second stage was originally planned. The design and completion were headed by the architect D.M. Kogan.
The result was a unique dominant - an eleven-story tower, thanks to which the house in the 1920s became the tallest building in Moscow. The facades along Kalashny Lane inherited the architecture and forms of the first stage of the house, built back in 1915. They can be "read" even now. Architect Kogan only dismantled the filling of the triangular bay windows, turning them into balconies, and thereby enriched the sparse facades of the building.
To brighten up the asceticism of the building and make it more attractive, Mosselprom invited a married couple for the design work - the famous artist and photographer A.M. Rodchenko and his wife, the artist V.F. Stepanova. By that time, they were working closely with the Mosselprom association, which had carried out a powerful branding of its products in the 1920s, as it is now called. Interesting designer packaging developed by Rodchenko and Stepanova was complemented by bright slogans written by Mayakovsky for various trademarks of the association. As a result of their collaboration, the facades of a rather simple building received an impressive color scheme and became the calling card of Mosselprom.